The Famicom Universal TV Remote doesn’t do much but is still pretty cool.
If you happen to have the Famicom Universal TV Remote but can’t read the Japanese instructions it comes with, you may not be able to figure out how to set it to actually operate your TV. In fact, it can be downright frustrating trying to figure this out. As much of a great conversation piece the remote is, it’s somewhat useless if you can’t get it to work.
Here are instructions, in English, for programming the remote. It’s a lot easier than you might have thought!
- Make sure your TV is on and that the Infrared receiver isn’t blocked.
- On the Famicom remote, press A and release.
- Now, press B and left on the D-pad at the same time.
- Release both buttons. The right LED will begin blinking red as the remote
cycles through its code library. When it finds the code for your TV, your
TV will turn off.
- As soon as the TV turns off, press any button on the Famicom remote. The
code for your TV is now set!